Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Thank you for the fish!

Hey there Rafikis!

   So there's a song I've been singing a lot lately. It goes something like this: "How do they find the time and energy to do all this?"

   There are days I wake up and for some reason I get stirred into a frenzy. These days usually take place when I'm stuck at home (Berrien Springs Home) for a break (spring, christmas, you name it). And I figure that since I'm stuck at home, I should turn my house into a palace fit for a king. And so I clean: Laundry, dishes, bathrooms, vacuum...and it takes forever. And when I'm done I'm thoroughly exhausted. Granted, this house is really made for a whole family and cleaning three stories (basement, main floor, upstairs) is not something that someone should ever have to do alone, but unfortunately it happens. Often. The people who take care of us, or took care of us, spent many hours on hands and knees, pushing a Hoover, and wondering if those Scrubbing Bubbles would really come to life and magically clean the whole bathroom (BTW...they don't). It really is HARD work!

   There are days (like today) when I decide that I won't poison my body and actually have real food that's more or less from a farm or ocean somewhere and not a lab. I'll use today for example. I decided to cook; brown rice, salmon, and spinach. By the time the food was defrosted, marinated, cooked, and ready to eat, I was not only STARVING! (I gave in and snacked on apple juice while cooking....a MAJOR NO NO!) but I was just plain tired. Granted, this exhaustion is a compilation of the morning homework, the afternoon classes, and the evening workout, BUT STILL...it really is just easier to order the number 6 at Wendys. And so, I thank the folks who took care of me since I was a wee little boy, and taught me how to make at least one dish, but freely fed me so many more without complaining.

   Here's to the ones who take care of us. Many times when you should have taught us to fish, you gave us the fish anyway and simply said...I love you. We love you too...

2 comments:

  1. For real! If they hadn't equipped us with these skills we'd be in stupid relationships just because we'd need somebody to take care of us.

    By the by: unless your parents keep up with your blog, they probably have no idea to what extent they've helped you survive. (Cutting down on the days you've had to answer the question 'Hard or soft shell taco?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...they changed the protocol. The politically correct way of asking is CRUNCHY or Soft shell taco. Can you imagine the high school boys giggling at the drive thru when the the taco guy asks: Hard or soft?

    ReplyDelete