Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sex: Party of 2?

Hey there rafikis!

It's been a while since my mind has urged my fingers to grace the blogosphere. In that time I've managed to get behind on homework, go on spring break to Cali-Vega (don't get too excited, they are both home to me), and conjure up some righteous indignation.

In fact, this blog has nothing to do with sun or casinos, but everything to do with a phrase I keep hearing in movies or on television. The conversations loosely go something like this, and usually take place on the day of someone's wedding:

Friend: "So you're finally taking the plunge...getting hitched..."

Groom: "Yeah...what can I do? I love her!"

Friend: "Are you sure you want to go through with this? Are you sure you want an old ball and chain for the rest of your life?"

Groom: "I'm pretty sure"

Friend: "I mean, are you okay with the fact that you will only be having sex with this one person for the rest of your life?"

Groom: "I'm pretty sure..."

So if I listen to the friend, the ideal would be for a dude to NOT be okay with having sex with his wife for the rest of his life? So what should be desirable is to have multiple sexual partners, manifold different encounters, and to risk becoming bank of "insert your name here" for the next 18 years (at best!!) or at worst becoming a petri dish for all sorts of interesting things to have a doctor check out...

The concept of monogamy hit home when I came back from spring break. This spring break was interesting because for the first time in a long time I became a pedestrian. My Isuzu Rodeo back in Vegas is down for the count and so I was left renting cars and asking my wonderful friends for rides.

Long story short, I had the chance to drive a Chevy Aveo, a Toyota Yaris, a Nissan Xterra (ala 'rents), and to ride in many other fine automobiles. When I came home and drove Bertha-Blue (my Honda Pilot) I thought to myself, there's nothing I love to drive better than her.

Having multiple sex partners is like waking up everyday and finding a different car parked in your driveway or your garage every month, week, or day (!!!!). At first it could actually be kinda exciting trying out all the different makes and models, driving them to the max. Each one feels different, each one handles different, and each on has its good and bad traits, but you get to drive nonetheless. However, one day you see a car that's just right for you and you actually don't drive it recklessly because you want this one to last...but alas, after a couple days you're bored, cause you're used to having a new one every day (week, month,... you get the picture) and you spiral into a semi-schizophrenic state of wanting stability but yearning for excitement. That's what happens when you invite too many people to a party that was meant for two.

I read about a study that poled people looking for the demographic that was having the best sex. The research showed that old church ladies were having the best sex. I would say it's safe to say that they were doing it with their husbands too...and their husbands alone.

We were created to be intimate and some would argue that since having multiple partners is something normal for the wild animals, it's okay for us too. Great! Let's stop cooking our food, or using the toilet...sorry friends, that argument really doesn't work; we were designed differently...just like we can't really digest raw grass our bodies can't really digest rampant promiscuity. The results are clear all across the world, in our backyard, and alot closer for others...

Some would say that men in the Bible had multiple partners and wives. Great! Show me something beneficial that came out of ANY of those relationships...

While my car metaphor may fall apart, the Truth of the matter won't. Don't make life more complicated than it already is. When your friend (whose friendship is questionable at best; he just called your bride a ball and chain...) asks you if you're ready to have sex with one more person for the rest of your life, you can answer with a resounding YES, and join the ranks of the super SATISFIED church ladies. God is super satisfied, and you will be too.

4 comments:

  1. ha! i found your blog! have you read "sex god" by rob bell? I felt like you were reiterating some of his ideas too-the humans vs. animals argument. i think it's funny how you compared sex to cars.

    all i know is, sex is a spiritual event. i think that God created it to be experienced between only 2 people because it's something that no drugs or external pleasures can really come close to-because it is created by God. unfortunately, when too many "cars" (or even more than 1) are driven, it loses it's sacredness; it's spirituality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rika! I have not read it, but it's on my list!! I hear nothing but awesomeness about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur, Fidus. Well written.

    ReplyDelete