




Hey there Rafikis,
This is a story of four popsicles; Asian, American, African and Colombian. This cast of 4 endured 12 hours of driving. We stood in 30 degree temps, at the front of a line of thousands for 5 hours. The NY Times guy heckled the Associated Press guy, and they both kept us entertained for a couple of hours....and we didn't get into the security check point.
So what was the point? I asked myself this question only once. Then I moved on. This was the point. I went on a road trip and renewed my friendship with Phephi, started a friendship with Kevan, and dug up a friendship with our gracious host in Silver Spring, Nate Gemmell. I was privileged enough to be in the Nation's Capital when our new President was sworn in. I experienced the energy of thousands of people who have hope for a better American future under our new president. When all was said and done we still watched it on a large HD monitor in a WARM museum room with about 65 natives and travelers. We were warm, we were in DC, and we were within reach of President Obama, just not face to face. Everyone else who stayed and waited for the gate to open got to do the parade route. We decided that we could not commit academic suicide twice, only once.
It was totally worth it. I will one day tell my kids that I was in DC when it all went down.
13 hours back to Berrien Springs, 5 hours of sleep, 3 classes where I was a zombie, and a lifetime of inside jokes and crazy memories.

No comments:
Post a Comment