Saturday, June 13, 2009

Long Lake Rd. was his Kryptonite...RIP Edmuston "Mashavu" Woodhouse III


Hey there Rafikis,
So after an extremely busy Friday, which consisted of a visit to a mosque (More on that some other time...) I came home and was mowing the lawn, racing the sunset to get my yard in shape. It had been a particularly long and stressful day, but it had some awesome parts which included broadening my experiences at the mosque (not to be confused with worshipping there...) and sitting outside Chipotle and eating lunch with Toya and John Kim (from the sermonary).

I came home and while mowing the lawn, I was doing a lot of thinking and was kind of stressed out and then the lawn mower ran out of gas. This is not an unusual thing; while mowing the football pitch (read soccer field) that is my front yard, I usually have to refill the mower twice for it to last the 2.5 hours that it takes me to get the grass' life together.

So the mower runs out of gas, and I'm frustrated with many things including the mower (which has been acting up lately) and something in the grass catches my eye. And before I could fully turn and focus on the object, I already knew what it was.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am sorry to announce that the squirrel from my backyard, Mr. Edmunston "Machavu" Woodhouse III was tragically hit by a car sometime between thursday morning and friday morning (It definitely wasn't fresh...). He was found by me, lying just off the side of the road on my lawn, while I was cutting the grass on Friday afternoon. He wasn't particularly loved, but I did enjoy watching him (or her). And it could be unusually entertaining to watch it gather leaves for its nest (or something...). He will be missed, sort of. I often wondered how long he could last, running across the street for goodness-knows-what; I often came close to taking his life too. Long Lake Rd. was his Kryptonite. Oh well.

I carefully kept on mowing around his body and left him for the crows...(GROSS!). Those of you who participated in the contest to name him have priority seating at his funeral (TBA).

- Fidi

1 comment: